Senna pods is the common name for the fruit of the plant Senna alexandrina Mill. (Cassia senna L.; Cassia angustifolia Vahl). Senna is considered to be an herbal medicine made from its leaves, flowers, and pod. The best senna is distinguished by a bright yellowish-green color of the leaves with a faint odor resembling the smell of green tea and a bittersweet taste.
The plant is indigenous to tropical Africa. It grows wild near the Nile River, Arabian Peninsula, India and Somalia. India considered to be the largest producers of senna.
Senna is an active ingredient in many popular over-the-counter laxative medications (no need for a prescription or license), such as Ex-Lax and Nature’s remedy. Accordingly, it grows a great domestic and international demand. Germany, Hungary, Japan, Netharland and USA are the major markets of senna.
Senna is an FDA-approved non-prescription laxative. It is used to treat constipation and to clear the bowel before diagnostic tests such as colonoscopy. Both leaves and pods of the plant are used to cure breathing problems. Senna tea is a popular herbal remedy that’s often marketed as a laxative, weight loss aid, and detox method.
Health benefit of Senna
- Senna tea is most commonly used for occasional constipation.
- Senna has been used in conjunction with other agents for colon cleansing prior to undergoing colonoscopy.
- Senna tea is sometimes used for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and bloating.
- Senna tea can help to flush out excess toxins and residual waste matter out of the body, which promotes weight loss.
- Senna helps in reducing swelling and quick healing of anal fissures and other haemorrhoids due to its laxative effects.
- Senna tea, due to the presence of tannin, resin, and essential oils, is used to treat wounds, burns, and ringworms. Its anti-bacterial properties are also useful in fighting acne, and other skin ailments
- Applying senna to your hair will ensure stronger, thicker, and voluminous hair. It also acts as a natural hair highlighter which gives ash blonde to golden color.